Here's a list of facts about Rascal that you might find interesting:
- Rascal is the successor of the ASF+SDF Meta-Environment.
- Like ASF+SDF, it fully supports embedded concrete syntax fragments for "syntax safe" matching and construction of source code.
- Like StringTemplate, it supports recursive string templates for code generation in the absence of a context-free grammar.
- Tobias Baanders designed the Rascal logo.
- It employs a parsing architecture inspired by Scott and Johnstone's GLL parsing.
- It's fundamental run-time data representation and manipulation API (pdb.values) is a part of Eclipse IMP
- PDB.values was inspired (mostly) by the ATerm library and RScript.
- We used Rascal itself to transform its Java-based interpreter from the Visitor design pattern to the Interpreter design pattern automagically.