Fixing configuration issues of Eclipse
eclipse.ini file must be edited to configure the JVM that Rascal uses to run its code.
Reasons for configuring it are:
- More stackspace is required to execute the embedded parser generator
- More heap space is required to load all of the modules
- The right JVM version needs to be configured (Java 11)
Steps to configure
- Find the file first:
- on MacOSX it may be in /Applications/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini
- on Windows it may be in C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse.ini
- on Linux its where you extracted the eclipse tarball.
- then find the line that starts with
-vmand add on the next separate line the path to the java run-time binary
C:\Program Files\Java SDK 1.8\bin\javaw(note there is no .exe).
- If you can’t find the line that starts with
-vmyou should add it before the line starting with
-Xss8mis enough stacksize
-Xmx1Gis enough heap size.
- Rascal works with Java 11.
- Re-installing Eclipse requires editing the
- Upgrading Java installation, and removing the old one, might invalidate the Eclipse configuration.
- Rascal works only with Java 11.